Wednesday, December 1, 2010

WR Steve Johnson tweets "He will remember this" to God.

First I would like to apologize for it taking so long for me to write another article. I promise, you will get two articles this week starting with this one. Also please note; so  I don't violate any copyright laws, I have decided to link images and videos instead of adding them unless I already have them on file, from my personal library.  It's not advertising or links that harm your computer.

So unless you have been hiding under the proverbial NFL rock of the past two weeks you've heard about Steve Johnson's hero to goat performances. Just in case you haven't...on November 21st Steve Johnson caught not one but 3 TD passes in a 49-31 comeback win over the Bengals. The Bills were down 28-7 at one point in the 2nd quarter before going into the half with the score 31-14. As some of you may know the Bengals have the "Dynamic Duo" of Wide Receivers in Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco who are the self proclaimed Batman and Robin of football. So at this point we're thinking they are going to steal the show and pour the rain on the Bills.

Then came the onslaught...the Bills scored 35 unanswered points in the second half and Johnson was responsible for 21 of those points. So Johnson in the spirit of fun and entertainment took a Sharpie to his undershirt before the game and wrote "Why So Serious?"  which was a quote from the Joker in the Batman: Dark Knight film. Upon scoring his first 28 yard-TD and still down 10 points he lifts his jersey to show off the statement as a retort to his counterparts on the Bengal sideline and to let the world know he's the villain. Then went on to gain 137 yards score two more times!

The Not So Fun League didn't find it so funny, and fined The Joker $5,000. Johnson went on to say he got in trouble for it, and won't be doing anything like that again because as he said, "I want to keep my money". This would be his hero performance.

Now to the goat.....

Last Sunday the Bills took the Steelers into overtime, and Johnson breaks free, wide open...game tied...perfect pass....in the end zone....AND...HE DROPS IT! The Steelers go on to win the game and just like that! Johnson goes for hero to goat. But then it gets better...he goes on to tweet after the game under the handle steviejohnson13: I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO..."


If you know me you know that I am a Christ follower. So my opinion and response will reflect such. So without further ado...Steve 4 things you may want to reflect on:

1) YOU didn't look the ball into tuck! That's fundamentals. It seems 90% of the NFL players have forgotten (i.e. not leading with your head, bucking chin straps, etc.). God didn't tell make you take your focus off the ball.

2) I am sure God doesn't mind you "remembering this" but I hope you don't mind Him remembering that you're a sinner saved by His grace. He loved you enough to sacrifice His only son for YOU! You will be held accountable for your sin on judgement day. So...remember it, write it down, take a picture! Here is a verse for you to think on: 1 Peter 4:17-19.

3) You're telling a lie. No one is able to praise Him 24-hrs. a day, how dare you even think you shouldn't have adversity because you praise Him. You might want to read the book of Job, in the Old Testament. Your arrogance is enough for me to think that maybe humility is the thing you are supposed to "learn from this".
1 Corinthians 2:14 and Philippians 2:3-11 might help.

4) Lastly my friend...I know it's your job. But at the end of the day you will be paid regardless, you get to hop in your nice ride, tweet your all caps rants from your iPad, and pay fines larger than any paycheck most Americans have ever received.

Thus leading me to ask....Why So Serious?


We all cry out from time to time. But...again...check out Job my favorite scriptures are Job 38-41. That should help, sets me straight every time!

No comments: